Jan 6, 2015

Tasty Tuesday

I haven't done a Tasty Tuesday post in a while and all I can say in my defense is that I have not been prepared with pictures and such. But I am going to try to do a better job at this in 2015. 

Planning my menus ahead for the week is the first step in keeping me on track and saving money as well. It also allows me to use up the leftovers and therefore not waste money or food. Also in my quest for healthier eating I am trying to do way fewer simple carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes and breads. All the things I love but I may as well just put them in my hip pockets! As they go straight to my butt. My hubs is a diabetic so watching the carbs for him as well. And of course his favorite thing in the whole wide world is pasta. So we tried a new item to us and it was a hit. Something we will have many times and I will be trying this with different variations in the future.

Spaghetti Squash w/home canned marinara sauce

I just started out buy washing the squash and cutting off the stem. Then split it from end to end and remove the seeds and strings. ( not sure that is a technical term but you know what I mean). Now lay them face down in a 9x13 baking pan and add about a 1/4 cup of water. Place in a 350* oven for about 45 minutes or till (spaghetti) will flake with a fork.

This is what they looked like when I placed in the oven.



Then after baking for 45 minutes and flaking with a fork they look like this.



I added a 1/4 lb. of organic ground bison that I had fried ahead of time to the marinara sauce. You could make this completely vegan if you wanted to but hubs always wants to know where the meat is?


Now I just spooned the sauce into the "boat" and added some mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Placed back in the oven on broil until cheese was bubbly. 


These were great! Hubs was pleased and ate every bite. I served it with a chopped salad. It was very filling but did not give us that stuffed feeling at all. 



Hope you enjoy it if you give it a try, let me know what you think. And if you add your own spin then share that as well.  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing how you made this. My hubby loves his spaghetti and could eat it every day! I really should try this as I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - now if I could just stop craving my bread. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in today. You should give it a try. From past history i can tell you the cravings will stop if you completely go off the white stuff. Sugar, pasta, rice bread and potatoes. thats the only way to go. Good Luck! May this be your year.

      Delete
  2. We grow spaghetti squash every year. We love it with marinara sauce too. It's so delicious. We also make a greek dish that the entire family likes. Most people won't buy it in the stores because they don't know what to do with it. My Mom has a hard time cutting them, so she pops it into the microwave to soften so she can slice through it. Don't forget you can make breakfast hashbrowns with it too. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give the hash browns a try for sure.

      Delete

I try my best to read every comment. And I love hearing from you all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...