Jan 22, 2016

Snow Flying Friday

Well it is Friday and the snow is flying out there. They say we are in for at least a foot. The weatherman is having his heyday, you would think we have never seen snow before in our lives! Oh well it is good for a laugh.


This was taken around 10 am this morning when it had been snowing long enough for me to find new batteries and get them in my camera.(20 minutes)

**************************************************************

I had planned to fix a mexican casserole today but decided that Beef Stew was a better idea. So a big pot is on the stove and I will serve it up in a big pile of mashed potatoes. If we should lose power it will also warm easily on the grill or even in the fire pit.

Here is my recipe:

Beef Stew

2 pounds stew meat
olive oil
2 cups water or broth
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove of garlic
1 onion
3 large carrots 
2 ribs celery
1 can of peas
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp paprika
a pinch of allspice

Brown meat in hot oil. Add water or broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt an pepper, paprika and allspice. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours. Then remove the clove of garlic and the bay leaves. And add in the carrots and celery. Cover and cook 30 -40 minutes. Add 1 can of peas and allow to heat through. Use cornstarch to thicken.

******Now I must tell you I used my home canned venison instead of the stew meat which shortens the cook time as it is already ready to eat.

******* I also use a tsp of minced garlic instead of the whole clove and I do not remove it.

*********As you probably noticed this does not contain potatoes. That is why I serve it in a pile of mashed potatoes. or sometimes over rice.

*********************************************************

Cold this weekend with snow continuing well into Saturday. So lots of creating and maybe some reading going on this weekend. And I am sure plenty of exercise removing snow from the walks and driveway.

So what about you? What is on your list for the weekend?

If you are located anywhere in the snow region I pray for your safety and hope your power holds for the duration. 




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day for stew! I'd substitute green beans for peas if I used your recipe: I don't like their texture in soup.

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to read every comment. And I love hearing from you all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...